This year's garden doesn't look all that different from last year's at this point. I have learned that I need to work on my methods if I want seed-starting to work for me. By the time the plants are available in the stores, my little seedlings look so pathetic that I end up buying more to set out.
I worked on the soil in my boxes a bit to see if that has any impact on how well things grow. I also am trying to come up with a better watering plan because I am pretty sure that things were not watered very effectively. All in all, if things don't go very well this year, I may have to rethink it all. Even in the sunniest spot in our yard, there is a lot of dappled shade at various parts of the day which poses a pretty big challenge to growing vegetables. I am experimenting with a few crazy things this year, though.
I have been evaluating my use of containers and beds to try to get the most out of the space. The one thing that I missed over the winter was my herbs. And I did learn that anyone can grow mint. It came back with a vengeance with little effort on my part.
This year we are adding a little experimental patch. There are supposed to be beans that will grow up the bamboo sticks, and the boys helped me to plant left over flowers around it. Jonathan wanted to plant some cantaloupe, so I will be interested to see how that goes here. They also planted some wildflower seeds all around. It looks like a mess right now, but I am hoping that it will start to take shape when things begin to fill in.